Wednesday, November 08, 2006

In Praise of Samples

Since I got back to NY, I've shifted my wi-fi glomming operations from Soho to Union Square because the open network which used to be accessible from the Spring St. Starbuck's is no more while the free Union Square wi-fi is accessible not only in the park but from the dining area of Whole Foods. (The greatest supermarket in the world! You'll see for yourselves when comes shortly to Kensington High Street.)

Though I haven't had to do it yet, being in Union Square has alerted me to the fact that one can live entirely on samples from various food mongers. In recent days, I've had grilled tofu, turkey and chicken items, every apple known to man, a selection of delicious soups, slices of citrus fruits, exotic jellies and jams, chocolate chip cookies, Indian-spiced cauliflower, and other wonderful items that I've already forgotten amidst the abundance of culinary riches.

Union Square is a a real "Sample Central" as, within a few paces of each other, you have both Whole Foods and Union Square's outdoor greenmarket. Because both the greenmarket and the supermarket are devoted to healthy foods, the infusion of sampled items into my diet has undoubtedly rendered me healthier than I've been in months, nay, years.

Within toddling distance of the square is Trader Joe's, which has a counter devoted to samples. And judicious strolling reveals other free-to-eat opportunities.

Why do they do it? Why are they so good to me? What do they want from me? Do they want me to buy something?

But I'm so full . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home