Thursday, December 07, 2006

Cocooning, Part 8

I'm sitting on the couch in my Leesburg sister's house. She and my niece, Rebecca, are watching "Survivor". They came home a little while ago from Friday's, where they went to eat, along with Sister Leesburg's husband, Philip (hee-hee), while I stayed here and watched 6 year-old Alexandra, which was big fun!

I used made-up songs to get her to her eat her cherry tomatoes and her apple (she just wanted cheese) and then we sang and danced between the kitchen and the dining room. (She's a great dancer -- very jazzy.) Afterward, we watched "Molly, An American Girl" on the Disney Channel.

It took place during World War II, which gave me a chance to tell her all sorts of stuff she otherwise wouldn't have known about the period and why they were acting as they were in the film.

One cool thing was that, in the film, they were watching a Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland movie, ca. 1943, and I got to tell Alexandra that the very same Mickey is in the new Ben Stiller movie (which she'll likely see), "A Night at the Museum". Then there was a commercial for "Mary Poppins" and I got to point out that Dick Van Dyke will be in "Museum" too; in fact, teamed with Mickey Rooney, their first pairing since 1969's "The Comic". (I didn't tell her that part.)

While we were watching, Sister Leesburg called to tell me she was running late as Rebecca's food had to be sent back three times. (I don't know why.) She didn't ask me what she should bring back for me as we had planned she would. When she finally came home, she offered what appeared to be the uneaten remnants of a couple of appetizers -- two chicken wings and a bunch of potato skins.

Now, I would have been happy to root around in the house for something to eat but that had not been the plan. I was ambivalent about going out -- liked the idea but didn't want to spend the money -- so, I was happy to watch Alexandra.

And I didn't ask them to bring anything back. They said they would and that they would call to ask me what I wanted. (We didn't know where they were going so I couldn't choose in advance.)

Heck, for watching their kid, they coulda brought me something good rather than their refuse.

I refused the offering without explanation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home