Friday, December 08, 2006

Reasons Why (#4)

(Fourth in a series detailing why my Onion gig didn't go as well as I wanted it to.)


"I stipulate from the outset that ultimate responsibility rests with me. Part of the skill is transcending these things." -- Andrew J. Lederer, 2006


The Long View

John Fleming, who reviewed my Edinburgh shows for Chortle in 2004 and 2006, commented to me that I was like his associate, Janey Godley, in the following respect -- not so amazing with five minutes at my disposal, good with twenty, and great with an hour. This was intuition on his part, because he had only seen me do an hour, but it was very close to the mark. Actually, I'm usually pretty good at 5 as well as at 60; it's the 20 that, in every sense, falls in-between. But it's true, I work best with a large canvas on which to paint.

Now, I'm a very good MC and if I can take the room where I need it to go, everyone on the show will be great. And that's what I expected to do at Joe's Pub. But, though the MC was given as much time as the other acts (except for the headliner), it was spread throughout the show, with only five minutes available at the start.

As I said, I'm pretty good with 5, but its not enough time to set the tone for an entire show. It's only enough time to say, "Hello. This is where you are. This is what we're doing. Here's your first act." Still, I tried to set a tone in my usual style, as if there had been a full warm-up slot, and it was a mistake. Couldn't be done.

Okay. Perhaps I've sacrificed so that, in the future, others won't have to suffer. 'Cause I'm gonna recommend that they change this set-up. I know I would've been happier to have all my time up front and none in between the other acts (except what's necessary to reorient the crowd). And such a (standard) structure makes for a better show.

But that oft-necessary structure was not available to me.

And that is Reason Number 4 why . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home