Saturday, February 10, 2007

Ebb Tide

I was at the laundromat and I was a quarter short and I didn't want to break a dollar, so I thought I'd give the attendant 25 cents and get a quarter in exchange. But there was no attendant, so a guy in the laundromat gave me a quarter and wouldn't take the smaller change in exchange.

I understand that people don't want pennies and nickels and stuff sometimes and that he was probably just trying to be a nice guy. But part of me thought, "Do I look that bad? Even in a laundromat, where people typically where their worst stuff 'cause everything else needs to be washed?

For example, a woman in the place, doing loads of stuff, couldn't keep her belly from cascading over her too-small pants (which may have been open), despite the fact that she wasn't particularly fat. (Actually, she was quite attractive.)

I'm guessin' all the pants that fit were in the wash.

This was my context. I must've looked laundromat-acceptable.

But 25 cents is a charged figure. Since the depression, when 10 cents was all that an indigent required, the cost of a bum has remained stable at 25 cents. So, was the guy just being chill or did he think I needed the 25 cents.

Perhaps, in his eyes, I might just as well have been sitting on the floor holding a cup.

Well, wouldn'tja know it, by the time I was drying my clothes, my malaesthetically-gotten gain (which is the name of a detergent for those who find humor in such things) evaporated as a dryer ate my quarter.

I was even again. Financially, the laundromat excursion had been a wash. (Another of that type of joke.)

I felt better, kinda. I had magically been debummed.

But then an attendant came in and I told her about my quarter. I'm not so rich that I
I can afford to lose a quarter. I wanted it back.

She told me the machine did that sometimes. (Well, I knew it had done it at least once. But she didn't offer me my quarter back and I tried to figure out how I could ask her for it without being embarrassed, although why should I have been embarrassed, and while I continued to figure, she said that she was leaving for a just a while but she never came back during the time it took me to finish my laundry and get out.

So, I'm not a bum.


Learned more about Lundy's since my earlier post.

It only closed about three weeks ago -- I thought it had been much longer.

Here's information I stole from other websites, in their own words:

"The corner building is landmarked because of its unique "Lundy's stucco style."

When the restaurant was first built, actual clam shells from Sheepshead Bay were used to make the walls, historians note. "

"Regardless of what the location turns into, Lundy's restaurant as well as the building is a landmark. Therefore, at least, the menu must contain lobster and a raw bar.

Lundy's, which is on Emmon's Avenue, opened in Sheepshead Bay in 1907. At the time, it was on the bay side of Emmons, on pilings in the water. It opened at the present site (which is the northwest corner of Emmons and Ocean Avenue) in 1938. It could serve 2,800 people at a seating. Lundy's closed in 1979 and reopened in 1995. "

Thought you might like to know.

Andrew

__________________________________
11 February, 2007 @ 01:26 GMT
http://blogs.chortle.co.uk/andrewjlederer

1 Comments:

Blogger Jamie Sue said...

I think it's funny how now it is considered almost petty to ask for your correct change or the full value of any product or service you have purchased. As if the public has gotten so used to being screwed by countess little "mistakes" that we are now expected to not only turn a blind eye but to enable bad commerce. I too would have been embarrassed to ask for my quarter back, though there is no reason to be embarrassed about asking for the service or product you purchase to be in correct order.

Unconventional Beauty

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home