Monday, February 05, 2007

The Odyssey Begins

I was ambivalent about leaving the cave. On the one hand, there were things to do in the world outside; on the other, I had no money with which to do them. On the one hand, there was the comedy scene to reconquer (reconquer?); on the other, I needed to do laundry and had not showered.

So, I told my chef and video curator (the friend whose place I been hidin' in ) I wasn't sure I could make it that night; that he might have to dine without me.

But I wasn't sure that had been prudent. After all, I'm a growing boy and I need a continuing supply of comestibles the way a rapacious western society needs oil.

Fortunately, I would be meeting with a pal who was fairly reliable when it came to coughing up a san-a-wich (the father of a kid I knew in the Boy Scouts used to say it that way) or other victuals, so I suspected all would be well. Unfortunately, he had just lost several days of work and was in no mood to be "The Great Benefactor".

We chatted and had a "meeting of the minds" but there was no "offering of the meal" or "transferring of the lucre". So, of course, I informed the cavemaster that I was now available. Except now he wasn't available, having more or less dunked himself into some kind of revivifying elixir to cure or knock down some kind of affliction.

OK. So, I'm out of the cave.

I did a lot of necessary work -- drumming up gigs and stuff -- and before I knew it, it was time to venture farther, toward the People's Improv Theater and my friend's unclothed comedy show. First though, I'd be stopping at the Astor Place FedEx Kinko's, to request reimbursement of the remaining cash on my FedEx Kinko's quick payment card.

It was then that I realized something that had somehow escaped me despite the canceled hibernation plans and the missed san-a-wich earlier in the day -- I hadn't eaten and didn't have any money with which to remedy this.

Yahoo!!! Another dollar sixty-five or so in my pocket and now it was time to live. But while living was in order, I couldn't use the windfall on food. I would need it for more pressing necessities the next day. So, though my one-week MetroCard was still in force, I decided to walk up to the theater. stopping on the way at Whole Foods, where there was a good chance there'd be samples! (BTW, wanna enjoy samples? Don't watch other people taking or eating them.)

And samples there were!

After grabbing some pretzel chip fragments on the way in, I headed toward the usual areas of the store and, sure enough, the deli counter had a whole tray of white cups filled with tofu meatloaf.

Ho-ho -- I took one, gently, from the tray and (after a pause and accompanied by a soft sound) the entire tray fell back into the deli area, turning the remaining samples -- a full tray -- into garbage.

I swear I didn't push at all. Maybe it was precariously placed. Maybe the samples at the rear of the tray were heavier than the ones at the front and when I took one, the balance was altered in a disastrous way.

Oh, well. At least, I already had my white cup chock full o' the stuff. I poured it into my gullet and it was delicious.

Wished I could get some more but they didn't seem to be putting any new ones out. I guess maybe I had the only one, yet I was probably the only guy who definitely wasn't gonna buy the stuff even if I liked it, which runs counter to the logic behind the samples being there in the first place.

Hot damn! I was takin' everybody down with me.

But before we all sank (or maybe to hasten the process further), I stopped at the regular sample table, where the guy was offering a good rice thing and a chunky turkey dish that was molto compelling.

Boy, he's a great guy, the sample guy. He talks to you; wants to hear your opinions; lets you take a fair amount of stuff. Next month, he and the other "all-stars" (as he calls them) will be moving over to the new and bigger Bowery store to get it started right. (Bigger = more samples? I can't wait.)

I really wanted some more tofu meatloaf, but there still wasn't any there. (Probably just as well that I didn't get the chance to go back. Don't want them to recognize me next time as the havoc-wreaking guy.)

Had some more handfuls of pretzel fragments on the way out. (Maybe there was something else too.) Then, fed and rested, I headed up toward the "birthday suit" comedy show.

__________________________________
5 February, 2007 @ 16:06:30 GMT
http://blogs.chortle.co.uk/andrewjlederer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home