Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Odyssey Undressed

Got to the People's Improv Theater (PIT) and found the door to the upstairs lobby was locked. There were two older guys comin' up the stairs behind me, so I let them risk getting yelled at by knocking on the door.

They did not and we got let in.

Didn't know what my reception would be there 'cause my friend, who was running the comedy show at 8, hadn't responded to my message, earlier in the day, seeking admission. But I felt I had to show up even if I wouldn't get in, because over the previous couple of months, he had asked me to come and I hadn't done so. I figured even if I didn't get in this time, the fact that I showed up would at least let him know I was still a friend.

And there was a good chance I wouldn't be able to see the show as it was not only sold out, there was a waiting list. But my friend snuck me in as one of the performers and I hung out, showing support but not really experiencing the thing, backstage.

The show was a standard comedy show except for the fact that all the performers were unclothed. I'm using words like unclothed and undressed rather than applicable "n" words because I'm going to be somewhat critical about the enterprise and I don't want my friend to stumble across this critique when searching keywords applicable to his show. (That's the same reason I'm calling him "my friend" rather than saying his name.)

My friend, who made several appearances at "Spank!" in Edinburgh a couple of years ago during their clothing-free (avoiding keyword again) promotional segment would not be offended by my mentioning that in poor light, from a moderate distance, or without sufficient time to linger, one might easily conclude he doesn't have a penis. (I had time to look this time 'round and he does.) I don't think it takes a doctorate to know that he started performing comedy in the buff (keyword successfully avoided) in order to confront insecurities head-on and reassure himself, via public acceptance, that his "short"comings are alright.

Still, a comedy show without cumbersome shirts and trousers is a good gimmick and, personal motivations aside, he's had success with it, first in the big city where they ban things up in Massachusetts (confounded the search engines again!) and now in NYC.

And, here's the thing, he's good -- genuinely funny and disarming and he even does a gymnastic kinda thing that would make him a hit in any burlesque show in town. But some of his other performers, such as his succession of unfunny, unclothed female "clowns" are just plain depressing.

The thing is, the show works best when regular comics do their acts just as they would on any other show except for the fact that they're, . . . you know. (Fuck you, Google.) But, except for the host, the acts who have, er, psychological reasons for being there; for whom it is a mission of some kind, are too much to bear.

I have to admit that, being backstage, I didn't experience the show the way an audience would. And I may have felt the squalid aspects more fully and wept within at the bruised souls surrounding me because I was on the inside, close witness to both the emotional and physical imperfections of the players.

But the audience laughter, or lack of it, seemed to confirm my impressions.

Meanwhile, they've got a sold-out show and I had one person show up to my recent performance, who had just had a milestone birthday and was as interested in being confirmed as still attractive as in seeing me.

And they had two crews recording the thing for various outlets.

And I'm helping them get a spot at this year's Edinburgh fest. (Yup.)

But it's not 'cause I'm a hypocrite (although, of course, I am). I'm just a helpful friend and, anyway, I've seen that the show can be genuinely good.

In fact, when it was done as an EdFringe one-shot in '05, Leon from "Spank!" and Victor and Dean from "Nigerian Spam Scam Scam" performed "The Aristocrats" as if they were the act described in the joke, complete with props to mimic blood and shit, etc., and it was hilarious. It actually proved, in a way, that The Aristocrats were a good act. (Apparently Provenza wanted to use a tape of the skit on the Aristocrats DVD -- I heard him say he did -- but a girl who was in it wouldn't let him.)

And Kieran Butler, from Australia, did straight stand-up, sans culottes, and was terrific.

But there was, of course, a depressing clown, presumably with issues.

So, it'll be interesting to see how things shake out this summer.

But for now, in New York, it seems I have a friend with a "going thing" that just isn't my cup of balls. At any rate, rather than go with him to meet up with another depressing comedian friend, I decided to stick to my original plan and move on toward Brooklyn and music.

__________________________________
6 February, 2007 @ 14:01:30 GMT
http://blogs.chortle.co.uk/andrewjlederer

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home