Friday, December 15, 2006

I guess I'm "live-blogging" DC.

But only the most mundane aspects of it.

I like to wander through a city, not necessarily rushing toward the "attractions". Seems like a nice town. (I've been here many times before but I don't feel like I "know" the place.) Except for the place I last posted from -- the Marriott Courtyard across the street from the Australian Embassy.

Why do these business-oriented, chain hotels have to create such an antiseptic environment? There were poinsettias around but it still felt cold and colorless. And I had trouble signing up with Skype Zones, so I had to spend more time there than I wanted. It started to depress me.

Streets are nice, though. People outside office buildings, smoking or whatever; Christmas trees inside. Saw a couple of politely seated bums on the sidewalk in front of different retail places.

They've gotten rid of a lot of nice old buildings in this town but the area I've been walking around still has a lot. Been seeing embassies, union headquarters, interest group offices . . . It seems like everyone needs someone here to bribe, er, uh, lobby the government on their behalf. (Even the University of California has a building here -- or space in one with signage rights -- and they're a state institution from 3,000 miles away.)

I'm in a Caribou Coffee place. It's a seemingly popular chain here but it's new to me. Bing Crosby and a chorus are singing "Happy Holidays" over the sound system. A guy who must have been a big-deal military officer was in here a little while ago (ooh -- Sinatra's singing now), impeccably dressed in an overcoat with rank stripes on the shoulders. (Yup, I'm in our nation's capitol.)

I think I'm edging toward the White House. Guess maybe I should look at the national Christmas tree as the first night of Chanukah approaches. (I saw signs indicating there'll be a White House ceremony for Chanukah on Sunday.) Attractive female clientele here at Caribou, though, and the aesthetic beats the intensive care unit vibe at the Marriott by a mile, so my incentive to move on is not that strong. (Imagine what I could blog about if I actually did anything.)

The dance music from "A Charlie Brown Christmas" just ended. Now, Santa Claus is coming to town (according to an insufficiently identifiable female singer who may be Ella Fitzgerald). I found myself whistling "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentleman" on the commuter bus and on the Metro while I was coming to town. Yes, it really is Chanukah-time. (I felt a little guilty whistling a Christmas carol, fearing it was giving encouragement to the Gentiles, but what could I do?)

I guess I should move on. Meeting my nephew Daniel at the Vienna Metro station at 5:30 and there's much to do (or not do) before then.

Oh, yeah -- I forgot to open the previous post with the location -- "Washington D.C." If you look back, you'll note I do that when I'm in a new/notable location. I'm not gonna change the previous post, so I'll do it now.

Washington D.C.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home