Monday, February 26, 2007

Alimentary, My Dear Watson

You know, this going to the bathroom thing is a metaphor for the unknowability of people.

Like, I just asked some guys at this cafe/bookstore to watch my computer while I went to the bathroom. (I generally ask people who have better-looking computers than mine.) Then I went running to the bathroom, feelin' the need as I ran.

But 'til I did that, those guys (if they'd been paying any attention to me) couldn't have known I needed relief. From their perspective, I'd simply have been toppin' up my phone or writing happily.

But inside there was a growing distraction; a major need a-brewin'.

It couldn't be seen but it informed what I was doing; how I was being.

Just like thought.

Just like personality.

Just like all the internal things that can't be seen, though their effect on your actions helps define you in others' eyes.

So, let's start improving our lot by eliminating the need to go to the bathroom. It can't be hard; some high-tech, bio-mechanical take on the standard colostomy bag would probably do the trick.

Getting rid of this internal/external inconsistency which confounds (and sometimes assists) us in our interactions with the world might just make life easier.

Let's start with the metaphor and the more insidious disconnect between what we think and what we seem could simply follow it into the toilet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://vtyupdr.com]ZviXMAPIooC[/url] - XdDETRRptbqos , http://pyfnknfrtw.com

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home